This week we've been doing an assignment in Second Life, a virtual reality world where you create an avatar and move through a virtual environment. Although I've had fun creating my avatar, and dressing her like I would a Barbie doll, moving around in SL is rather difficult. Every time I sign in I'm sent a message from SL that I don't have the correct computer components for SL and therefore won't see some of the graphics. Well graphics are the least of my problems! Since I don't have the right computer components, I'm not able to teleport properly, return to my 'home' site, search and find areas that we were supposed to for this assignment (Virtual Hallucination Island).
It takes excellent hand-eye coordination to function inside SL as you are walking and moving and flying and turning----good thing we can walk through walls because I've run into a TON of them!! I'm still going through all the steps we're supposed to take for the assignment but so far I've been able to create my avatar, change her appearance, navigate around SL (I end up in Korea a lot), teleport to different sites, and visit places like Hallucination Island which is incredibly weird and a little scary. I'll write more about that once I've finished my assignment.
Until next time!
tm
No comments:
Post a Comment